Here is our next interview with an awesome runner! Today we find out about Nicole Thomas.
Nicole is a triathlete! I admire those that can do 3 things well! I’m certainly not a swimmer and as you’ve heard me say before – I’m not a cyclist because I want to see what’s coming at me! :-D So, Nicole is awesome in my book!
In her words: ”When I started running as an adult, it was because I wanted to try triathlon. Now, starting my 8th season, I hope to keep running as long as my body will let me.”
Let’s find out more about Nicole!
1. How long have you been running? Started running as an adult in the Fall of 2006, when I decided that I wanted to do triathlon.
2. How many days a week do you run? It varies with the time of year and whether I’m in a build or recovery week, 2 to 4 times per week.
3. How many hours a week do your work? 40 hours.
4. What time of day do you prefer to run? Early morning, before breakfast and work, before there are any demands on my time. Generally this ends up being around 6am. On weekends I usually sleep in a bit and start around 7:30.
5. How many miles a week do you typically run? Could be as low as 6-8 miles in a recovery week, up to 20 a week during peak training season.
6. Do you ever have problems fitting your running in with your schedule? How do you deal with any problems? Yes, of course. I need to be willing to rearrange my training schedule (move things to different days) and, if totally necessary, drop a workout entirely.
7. How did you get started running? A friend with run-coaching experience suggest to focus on starting with 30 minute workouts, easy running as much as you can, and then taking a walk break of no longer than 90 seconds, as needed; repeat. As my fitness improved, the run segments naturally got longer. Can’t remember how long it took before I could run for an entire 30 minutes.
8. What was your best run ever? I’m not sure how to define “best run”. Setting a 10K PR and placing 2nd in AG at last year’s Memorial Day race was pretty nice. First time I managed to run the entire run segment at a triathlon was great. Finishing my first HM, although I was in great pain and missed my goals, was special.
9. Do you have any running quirks? What are they? I don’t think so.
10. Do you have a favorite place to run? Where is it? I love running near bodies of water. Most often, this ends up being during my vacations to Virginia Beach.
11. Do you have a favorite race? What race is it? Not really, at least, not yet. I really like the Sandman Triathlon in Virginia Beach because it combines my love for triathlon with my love for being at the beach.
12. If you could run anywhere in the world where would it be? Something very scenic, maybe with history. Perhaps part of the Ironman Triathlon route in Kona?
13. Do you have a dream race that you’d like to run? I don’t aspire to marathons, and I prefer smaller races, but the New York marathon would be amazing.
14. Have you ever been injured? What was it? How did you deal with it? Yes, too many. Sprained ankle, Achilles tendinitis, mis-tracking kneecaps, hip pain/muscular imbalance. Achilles tendinitis is THE WORST! Beyond the typical RICE therapy I’m a big believer in physical therapy.
15. Do you have any running goals? What are they? (If you don’t mind sharing) 5K under 25 minutes; 10K under 55 minutes; half marathon under 2hr
16. Do you prefer to run with others or do you prefer to run alone? I prefer to run alone. I’m always ready on my schedule and I’m always running my pace.
17. Do you have a running hero? Can be living or not. I’m amazed and inspired by what my friends accomplish.
18. What are the most extreme conditions that you’ve ever run in? Last week, ran at 6º, in wind, with fresh snow on the ground. Have also run in some heavy rains. I rarely let the weather keep me from running.
Note: I got this from Nicole when we were still in the midst of all the wild winter weather!
19. What one thing will you absolutely not run without? Hydration…and a good sports bra!
20. What 3 words would you use to describe your running? Like a triathlete
I love reading about everyone! I always fine out things that I have in common with them. Like Nicole – I love early morning running, I run alone – and I love running Virginia Beach.
I hope that everyone is enjoying these interviews as much as I am.
Remember, if you’d like us to learn a little about you – just e-mail me at email@example.com.