First of all, give yourself a goal. You can make it a weekly mileage goal, a monthly mileage goal or it can even be running for so many days in a week. Make it fairly easy to attain – but do make it something that you will have to stretch a little bit to reach.
Then, decide what your reward will be. For myself, the harder the goal – the greater the reward. There are several things that you can use as a reward:
1. A new article of running clothes. If there’s that really nifty pair of shorts that you’ve been eyeing – when you reach your goal – go buy them!
2. A massage. Another one of my favorite ways to reward myself. If I’m training hard for something and I’ve reached a goal – I love treating myself to a nice massage. It’s a great motivator!
3. Go out to eat at your favorite restaurant. Or if you eat super healthy – it might even cutting loose with your favorite “bad for you food”.
4. Your reward can be as simple as some yummy chocolate chip cookies. Or, in my case – a bag of Doritos! Or maybe your favorite splurge is ice cream. Whatever it is – it’s a great reward!
5. A glass of wine or a nice cold beer after a hard run.
6. Treating yourself to some good old fast food. It’s alright to eat bad once in a while! Besides, we run it off!
7. If you’re running long on Saturday or Sunday, you could reward yourself with a nice doughnut. It’s a great motivator when your about mile 17 out of 20. Knowing those Krispy Kreme’s are there waiting on you!
8. Buy some nice running bling! I love wearing my running jewelry. And, I will buy a new piece from time to time to reward myself! I wear one of my running necklaces all the time! I never take it off.
(A great place to buy your running jewelry that is very reasonably priced is at http://LiftYourSole.com Use “thestreakingrunner” at check out for free shipping!)
9. Sign up for another race. If one of your goals was to run a race – and you trained and finished – a super way to reward yourself is to sign up for another one.
10. Buy a running book. This is a 2-fold purpose. You’ve rewarded yourself for your goal – and the book will continue to motivate you in the future!
As you can see, there are many ways to reward yourself after a job well done. So, make your goal – and go for it. And, then treat yourself! After all you deserve it!